ERNEST Heal and Sons in Monmouth held an official reopening of their funeral directors after closing for several months due to the storm damage from last November.

Outside Ernest Heal and Sons before and after Storm Claudia
Outside Ernest Heal and Sons before and after Storm Claudia. (Left: supplied, Right: Iliffe Media )

The event was held on Friday, August 14, at the funeral directors and began with a rededication of their Chapel of Rest, followed with a coffee morning which raised proceedings for Parkinson’s UK.

Parkinson’s UK is the leading charity supporting people affected by Parkinson’s disease. Their main goal is to fund scientific research to find a cure whilst finding better treatments, and campaigning for improved health and care services.

Local clergy and churchwardens attended the event at 10am where the Right Reverend Bishop Dominic Walker held a service to re-dedicate the Chapel of Rest.

Bishop Dominic Walker, said: “The funeral directors have a duty to care for the bodies and to look after them and to make sure people can come and pay their respects and say farewell to their loved ones and also have a place to grieve, and so it is with great sensitivity that they have refurbished the chapel. I hope people will use it and benefit from it, and it will be a real gift to the local community and a sign that Monmouth is rising again from the flood.”

People were also able to have a tour of the premises to see the refurbished layout after it underwent a full restoration process.

Refurbishments were made to the front of the funeral home as well as the care facilities, and it is known that they wholly comply with all of the current and forthcoming stringent regulations.

“Since the funeral home suffered the dreadful floods of November 2025, the funeral home was stripped back; all we had left were stud walls and ceilings,” said Managing Director Neil Williams.

“Since then, everything has been refurbished: new wall coverings, new carpets and new refrigeration facilities. Everything now is completely new and extended to what we could offer in the past.

“The water at the end of our drive was three foot and six inches and by the time it came to our door, it came up to a level of approximately 12 inches.”

Sally Price from Tŷ Price who attended the reopening, said: “It was a worry when they first flooded because we had good friends that were at rest here, but being so professional, they had it all under control.

“It was difficult because we were so worried about our own houses, and having Tŷ Price flooded on top of that was very emotional and stressful. Then when we had funerals in St Thomas’, there was no where for people to celebrate the lives of their loved ones, but Mitchel Troy church was then used for wakes.”

Whilst the branch in Monmouth closed, the team at the funeral directors worked tirelessly to look after their clients, working out of their nearby funeral home in Coleford. Now that they are back open again, they can continue serving the community in Monmouth.