MONMOUTH Town FC continued their busy end of season Gwent Premier League schedule with two games in a week.

Firstly, a midweek trip to Lucas Cwmbran saw the Kingfishers run out 5-1 winners thanks to goals from Jake Perrella, Dan Macdonald, Oscar Elias and two for the red hot Josh Maxsimovic.

The Kingfishers rotated the squad with Rob Laurie, Craig Lewis and Finley Thorp making way for Jack Meredith, Lewis Lloyd and Perrella.

Kingfisher legend Elliott Ford also made an appearance, deputising in the unfamiliar position of goalkeeper for the unavailable Dan Keane and Cameron Circus.

The visitors were in control for much of the game except for the awarding of a contentious penalty which was converted with the score at 2-0.

Monmouth then made the trip to Newport on Saturday, looking to avenge a 2-1 home defeat versus second in the league Pill.

Jack Alderdice and Nick Harrhy made changes, bringing Laurie into the side for unavailable skipper Ashley Ford and Thorp for Lloyd.

Monmouth, supported by a large following dominated the early exchanges and enjoyed large spells of possession with Perrella, Mathew Jones, Macdonald, George Gouldingay and Oscar Elias causing all sorts of problems.

But the Kingfishers could not find the breakthrough and a momentary lapse in concentration saw them go one behind on 21 minutes.

Undeterred, they rallied and a link-up between Macdonald – Monmouth’s own David Beckham – Thorp and Elias resulted in the latter making it 1-1 after 36 minutes.

But a further defensive slip-up two minutes before the break saw Pill take a 2-1 half-time lead.

The second half saw wave after wave of Monmouth pressure, but the lack of a clear cut chance denied a point for the visitors.

It was one of the best performances of the season for the Kingfishers, but no reward, just plenty of promise for next season.

Monmouth were due to vist New Inn on Tuesday before travelling to Newport Civil Service on Saturday for their penultimate fixture.

Elsewhere Chepstow Town went fifth in the Ardal South East League with a 2-0 win at Treharris on Friday, Josh Parsons firing them in front on the half-hour mark before Iestyn Davies doubled the lead two minutes before the break.

But their 2nds missed out 3-2 at home to Goytre on Saturday in a SE Reserves League basement battle, leading 2-0 at the break thanks to goals from Bailey Hobbs and Malique West before being overhauled.

Monmouth's Rockfield Rovers are also flirting with the basement in East Gwent One, after drawing 1-1 with bottom side Caldicot Town 3rds in midweek thanks to a Ben Wiggins goal, and then losing 4-2 in their final game away to Undy 3rds on Saturday, Andy Fleming with both of their goals.

Caldi are three points behind with a game to play and a better goal difference, but their visitors this Saturday are table-toppers Underwood.

In EG2, Tintern Abbey beat visitors Sudbrook CC 2nds 5-2, Jack Coleman bagging four and Oly Adshead the other, while Redbrook Rovers thrashed Tidenham 6-0 at home in North Gloucestershire 2, Darci Edwards, Bailey Grant, Ryan Jeffs, Larsson Brown, Jayden Makondora and Callum Wheatley the marksmen.