CHEPSTOW Town secured a 1-0 win over Blaenavon Blues at a rain-drenched Larkfield on Sunday, which saw the Jockeys leap to fourth in the Ardal South East League, reports STUART TOWNSEND.

Lee Wathen saw red after handling on the line
Lee Wathen saw red after handling on the line (STUART TOWNSEND)

The hosts had an opportunity to break the deadlock in the 45th minute when Blues sub Lee Wathen saw red for handling a shot on the goal line and the ref pointed to the spot.

But Matthew Board saw his penalty well saved by Blues custodian Luca Bullock.

Ten man Blaenavon fought hard
Chepstow in blue and white went fourth after a 1-0 win over Blaenavon (STUART TOWNSEND)

The heavy rain that started just before the interval made the Larkfield playing surface somewhat tricky to play on during the second half as both teams looked to make the breakthrough.

And the only goal of the afternoon arrived in the 62nd minute when Mallachi Graham latched on to a pass played through by Joshua Parsons to squeeze the ball past the advancing Bullock.

Chepstow celebrate their goal in lashing rain
Chepstow celebrate their goal in lashing rain (STUART TOWNSEND)

Whilst 10-man Blues looked to find an equaliser during the closing stages, it was the hosts that looked more likely to increase their tally.

The Jockeys leap above Goytre to fourth with victory over Blues
The Jockeys leapt above Goytre to fourth with victory over Blues (STUART TOWNSEND)

But a single goal proved enough for the Larkfield club to go 11 unbeaten and complete their home fixtures on a winning note, with a final trip to Tredegar on Wednesday night.

Eyes on the ball
Eyes on the ball (STUART TOWNSEND)

Monmouthshire outfit Goytre didn't play last week, but were due to host Aberbargoed Buds on Tuesday night (May 7), and with games in hand can still mathematically finish second.

Monmouth Town’s Gwent Premier match at Newport Civil Service on Saturday was rained off.

But having lost to Abercarn 2nds 2-2 at home in midweek, Chepstow Town 2nds repaid the compliment 3-2 away in the FAW SE Reserves League on Saturday, thanks to two last-ditch goals, with the winner from the spot coming a minute after the equaliser.

Bailey Hobbs put the Jockeys 1-0 up in six minutes, but the hosts hit back to level on 37 minutes and then took the lead with just over 20 minutes of normal time to play.

It looked to be heading to a second Abercarn win until Dan Drake struck right on 90 minutes.

And the celebrations had barely stopped when within a minute Chepstow were awarded a penalty and Hobbs stepped up to fire the winner and his second, a result which saw them leapfrog Goytre to third from bottom.

Underwood celebrated taking the East Gwent One title from Sudbrook CC with an emphatic 6-0 win away to basement boys Caldicot Town 3rds, which means Monmouth’s Rockfield Rovers were spared finishing bottom.

But the second-placed side had their revenge on Saturday, beating Underwood 3-2 in the EG Benevolent Cup final.

EG2 champions Chepstow Town 3rds signed off with an 8-1 blitzing of basement hosts Caldicot Castle 2nds and brought up the 100-mark on goal difference, Toby Prettyjohn and David Edwards both bagging braces

Redbrook Rovers pushed high-flying North Gloucestershire 1 outfit Blakeney at home in midweek in a 5-3 loss, Keisuke Katafuchi bagging a brace and Jayden Makondora the other goal, before bouncing back on Saturday with a 4-0 win away to Woolaston 2nds.

And Usk Town 2nds were in seventh heaven, hammering hosts Forgeside 2nds 7-0 in midweek, lifting them to fourth in Gwent Central Two with the Blaenavon outfit firmly rooted to the bottom.