More than 40 crews from Fire and Rescue Stations across South Wales attended the scene of a large fire in Monmouth alongside emergency service colleagues and partner agencies.

At about 9:20am yesterday, they received reports of a fire on Monnow Street in Monmouth. Upon arrival, crews were faced with a large, well-developed fire, affecting a commercial property.

Early beginnings of the fire that engulfed Peacocks

Crews worked tirelessly to manage and contain the fire, preventing it from spreading to neighbouring properties.

Firefighters extinguished the fire and a stop message was received at approximately 5:09pm.

Smoke fills Monnow Street as the fire burns out of control
(Nicola Burley)

The premises smouldered overnight, and crews continued to dampen down hotspots, securing the area and protecting the community from further risk.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service remained at the scene while a fire investigation was conducted. The suspected cause of the fire was determined to be an accidental ignition.

The Peacocks store stands as just a shell following the devastating fire
Peacocks remains just a shell following the fire (Jayne McKenna)

The road was closed as a safety precaution and those needing to travel along Monnow Street were advised to plan alternative routes or transportation methods. The road has since been reopened.

“We would like to thank our colleagues from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service and Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service for their specialist support during this incident.

“We would also like to thank a number of the surrounding businesses who kindly provided our crews with food and drink, and to the community for their ongoing support and cooperation during this incident.

“The property has now been boarded up and secured as a safety precaution, and we would urge the public to continue following the advice and guidance of Gwent Police and Monmouthshire County Council.”

See the Beacon this week for the full story