Delay on installing electric charging points

By Julie McNicholls Vale   |   Deputy news editor   |
Thursday 23rd April 2020 2:12 pm
@JulieCambrian
[email protected]
Share

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

THE deadline for installing 65 electric vehicle charging points has been missed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The original deadline for Gwent’s five councils to install the points across the region was March 31 – but contactors Silverstone Green Energy stopped work after the lockdown was announced on March 24.

The councils had been given a combined £459,000 from the UK Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles to install 65 points – but now they have been allowed to complete this work later.

It is not yet known when the charging points will be installed and ready for use.

A Monmouthshire County Council spokesman said: “In Monmouthshire, four out of six sites had undergone installation works but the current lockdown meant that works were put on hold.

“Once it is safe, the contractor will be completing the installations and it is anticipated all will be complete within approximately one month of works resuming.”

A Blaenau Gwent spokesman said: “The current situation is that 25 of the 65 charge points have been installed but these are not yet operational as we are waiting for electricity supply meters to be installed and the charge points energised.

“We are awaiting updates from Western Power Distribution on when it will be safe for this work to be carried out.

“Once work is able to commence, we anticipate that this can be completed within four to six weeks, dependant on connection works.

“We are grateful to the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) for their advice and support during this unprecedented time, and its agreement to an extension in the grant funding for this project.”

A Torfaen spokesman said: “Unfortunately they have not all be fully commissioned as yet.

“Silverstone ceased all work on all sites on 24th March following an announcement off the Prime Minister in relation to Coronavirus, and unfortunately no one has any idea when they will be back up and running

“With regard to the sites in Torfaen, the majority of the infrastructure is all in place. However, we are aware that other ancillary works are still needed before the points themselves can be powered up.”

In total, the contract will cost the five authorities £603,809 between them, with councils making up the £144,809 not provided in grant funding.

Newport and Caerphilly councils did not respond to request for comment.

Comments

To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0