THE best of Monmouthshire’s business community were celebrated last Friday (21st October) at a black tie event held at Newport’s Celtic Manor Resort.
More than 350 guests attended the Monmouthshire Business Awards hosted by TV personality Hywel James to applaud the thirteen category winners.
A total of thirty businesses making the shortlists ranged from a rural village store to large established hotels and everything in between, reflecting the diversity and variety of firms within Monmouthshire’s business community.
In addition, two individuals had been nominated for the Apprentice of the Year award, demonstrating the incredible business acumen of Monmouthshire’s young people.
Awards organiser Janet Harris said: “My warmest congratulations go to our winners. Competition for these prestigious awards has been tougher than ever this year with over 119 companies entering.”
The judges’ job gets harder every year with more and more businesses getting involved.
“I would like to thank everyone who took the time to apply – judges have confirmed that this year’s high standard of entries has made their job even harder. In one instance only half a mark separated first and second places.
“There are so many examples of outstanding enterprise within the county and it is right that we recognise these and declare Monmouthshire to be a place which values successful ventures.
Chepstow’s Reid Lifting Ltd retained its award for Company of the Year. Managing Director, Nick Battersby said: “We are delighted to have retained the award.
“It is a great tribute to the efforts and success of our staff in continuing to develop the business despite building and moving into new premises at the same time.
The evening was also able to contribute to a good cause with the guests donating more than £1,600 towards the Emily Clark ‘Remission Possible’ appeal.
The appeal is raising funds in her memory to support the building of a new bone marrow transplant ward; to donate visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/remissionpossible.
The winners of the 2016 Monmouthshire business awards were:
• Community life award: the Greenman Backpackers, Chepstow.
• Most promising start-up: Crikey Bikey, Monmouth.
• Young entrepreneur: Milo, Monmouth.
• Hospitality, travel and tourism: Monmouthshire Cottages, Monmouthshire.
• Excellence in e-commerce including retail: Tigerbella, Monmouth.
• Young apprentice of the year: Tim Battersby, Reid Lifting ltd, Chepstow.
• Excellence in technology innovation: Select Security, Abergavenny.
• Innovation in business: Select Security, Abergavenny.
• Socially responsible business: St Pierre Marriott, Chepstow.
• Best small business: Sugarloaf Vineyard, Abergavenny
• Company demonstrating sustained growth: Keen Attachments, Caldicot.
• Company of the year: Reid Lifting ltd, Chepstow.