A MAJOR expansion at a county arms factory is being proposed, although detailed plans are being kept under wraps.
BAE Systems has applied for planning permission for the construction of 18 new buildings and a 30-space car park at its existing Glascoed munitions factory between Usk and Abergavenny.
An unspecified number of ancillary structures are also proposed.
The private firm supplies weapons to the UK’s Ministry of Defence, including bombs for use by Ukraine, and others.
Pro Palestine protesters have also staged demonstrations at the site due to arms sales to Israel, although the company has said it operates under tight regulations and complies with defence export controls, that are subject to ongoing assessments.
The plant was rocked by an explosion, which local residents reported as causing the ground to shake in April 2024.
It was initially described as unexplained and was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive.
Due to security concerns no details have been published with the application on Monmouthshire County Council’s dedicated planning website.
Applications normally include detailed drawings, a raft of supporting information as well as a completed application form.
However the only document published on the website explains full details can only be viewed by appointment, at County Hall in Usk, and none of the information can be retained or shared elsewhere.
The statement reads: “Due to the sensitive nature of the site, full details of the application can only be viewed by appointment only at County Hall.
“Please note that none of the information can be copied/retained/published.
“For information, this application is related to the construction of 18 buildings, a 30-space car park and ancillary structures.”
The application site is listed as the Glascoed access at Monkswood and the red outline, marking the application site, on the council’s website is drawn around the south western corner of the BAE site, surrounded by woodland that separates the factory from Mount Zion Baptist Church in Glascoed.
BAE was granted planning permission for a new munitions building and blast mounds in November 2024.
The site at Glascoed, near Pontypool, was originally developed in 1938 as a bomb-filling factory for the Royal Navy in the run-up to World War Two, and has continued to supply ammunition to UK troops since it was privatised by the Thatcher government in the 1980s.
Members of the public wishing to view the plans must contact the council’s planning department, by emailing [email protected], to make an appointment and the deadline to comment on the plans is Thursday, September 3.
The explosion in April 2024 reportedly happened in a remote part of the site that had been set aside to take apart shells, which was being done by remote control.
The then Monmouth MP David Davies said he had spoken the senior BAE management after the blast and they confirmed it “did not cause any injuries, evacuation procedures were immediately instigated and everything was thoroughly checked”.
“I am told there is always a small risk involved in this particular operation, which is exactly why it is carried out with remote control in a restricted area of the site. There were no risks to any members of the public.”

Comments
This article has no comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment.