Sport and particularly football can be littered with 'if onlys'.

Success and failure are measured in small margins and so it proved on a blustery day on the north Wales coast as Monmouth Town's cup adventures came to an end in one of only a handful of games to beat the ludicrous weather.

Monmouth had been drawn at home but conceded home advantage and at the same time inherited the five-hour trip to Porthmadog for their last 16 Welsh Cup clash after two postponements at the Sports Ground.

Even as the team settled in the Bala Hotel for the pre-match meal, sponsored by Ladbrokes, just two hours before kick off the game was still in doubt.

The game was finally given the go-ahead just 20 minutes before the kick off and the early exchanges reflected rustiness in a team with only one game in six weeks.

Porthmadog on the other hand, with their excellent playing surface which had somehow defied the rain, had been busier with fixtures and looked much sharper in the early exchanges.

The wind however was in Town's favour and it was to have a big say on the whole match and the game burst to life in the 22nd minute as Alderdice converted a chance from a corner to put the Kingfishers in front.

Just three minutes later he repeated his efforts and smashed home a loose ball to the delight of the handful of fans that had made the trip from Monmouth.

2-0 to the good and when Dan MacDonald latched onto a loose ball just a minute later it looked like the Kingfishers could seal their passage into the last eight of the Welsh Cup, but Harvey in the home goal saved well.

Despite the lead, Porthmadog worked their way back into the game and although they looked dangerous and more composed, they didn't really carve out any clear chances.

The second half carried on in much the same vein with the home side keeping the ball much better than Monmouth and from another corner, Blackburn's parry could only hit the bar and drop to a gleeful Carl Owen, who volleyed home.

Owen equalised for the Port after a sweeping move leaving Town with a breathless last 20 minutes to either grab a winner or survive for extra time.

Porthmadog looked the most likely winners but debutant Josh Brown seemed to have other ideas.

On for a tiring Macdonald, Brown looked bright and creative and with Harrhy still trying to bring others into the game, Town had more options.

Dean Lee fizzed one wide of a post, Harrhy failed to capitalise on a poor goalkeeper clearance but these were just respites from fairly relentless pressure.

Extra time was little different as Port, still with the wind advantage, scored the all important third goal through substitute Craig Papirnyk just a few minutes after he had entered the fray, turning home at Blackburn's near post.

It was a goal too far and perhaps a game too far for Town, although Dean Lee had another good effort from distance and Harrhy was presented with a great opportunity with just seconds remaining which he rolled wide of the goal. And with it went the chance to test the nerve of the penalty takers.

That Town could have come so far, given up the advantage that a home draw gives you and taken it to the wire against a very good team, is to their credit.

But they are there by rights, not luck and they went out, beaten by a better side on the day not as some plucky minnows.

They did well, but know they must do better if they are to keep progressing.

Porthamadog: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Paul Lewis (Josh Banks 61), Ceri James, Josh Stadnicki, Dilan Lomas, Rob Evans, Gareth Jones Evans (Leon Newell 65), Carl Owen (Craig Papirnyk 91), Eilir Edwards. Subs not used: Gareth Parry, Gareth Barker. Yellow: Eilir Edwards.

Monmouth: Keiron Blackburn, Adam Davies, Ben Evans, Rob Laurie (Sam Palmer 115), Dan Clare, Jack Alderdyce, Elliot Evans, Dean Lee, Nick Harrhy, Dan MacDonald (Josh Brown 70), Corey Jenkins. Subs not used: Luke Cleaves, Dean Palmer, Safian Kuplinkski. Yellow: Adam Davies (27), Jack Alderdyce (107).

Referee: Ryan Stewart (Cardiff).

Attendance: 152.