This farmhouse in Usk is rumoured to have once belonged to the Earl of Cadogan and is up for sale for £950k.
Having roots in the 16th century, Lower Trostra Farm was originally a Welsh long house - a home where people lived in the same building as their cattle - but has since been expanded.
It has been host to a number of families throughout the years, with records showing that in the 1850s it was sold by retiring farmer James Lewis, and in the 1930s it was owned by the Cowles family.
But further back in time, it is reputed to have belonged to the Earl of Cadogan, William Cadogan.
William was a soldier who fought in the War of the Spanish Succession in the early 1700s and in 1711 went into voluntary exile in protest of the Treaty of Ulrecht with the Duke of Marlborough, and acted as a go-between for the Duke and Queen Anne.
The year after returning to Britain in 1714, Cadogan became the commander of the army against a Jacobite rebellion, and for his efforts, was made a Baron in 1716, and the first Earl of Cadogan in 1718.
Although he had two daughters with his wife Margaret, William had no male heirs, and so the Earldom went extinct upon his death in 1726, later being revived in 1800 for his nephew.
The house itself is Grade II listed, and contains five bedrooms thanks to Victorian additions to the building.
The sitting room contains a large inglenook fireplace and a stone spiral stairwell to the first floor.
There are two kitchen areas, as well as a formal dining room and a conservatory leading to the garden.
The sitting room stairs lead up to a large landing giving access to bedroom one and two inner hallways.
Nods to earlier eras are scattered throughout the house, with an original Victorian wood panelled ceiling in one bedroom, a vaulted beamed ceiling in another, and a third featuring an original ‘Bible cupboard’.
Outdoors, there is a horseshoe drive and formal garden, as well as an external utility room.
The house is being marketed by M2 Estate Agents at a price of £950k.
Nicola Foxton of M2 said: “Tucked down a quiet rural lane in a plot of 1.5 acres this historic farmhouse was originally a Welsh longhouse reputed to have been owned by the Earl of Cadogan. It is Grade II listed with 16th century origins.”
CommentsTo leave a comment you need to create an account. |