A PACKED meeting at the Bridges Centre in Monmouth heard that the thriving community hub is facing the threat of eviction if the trustees don’t sign a new lease by September 29.

The charity, which transformed Drybridge House from a derelict ruin, saw some 150 residents filling the centre’s ballroom at the centre last week, with trustees warning that Monmouthshire County Council proposed new lease could leave it liable for an annual rent of £97,000 and ultimately force it to close.

However, the meeting heard that the local authority was prepared to give a substantial discount with a ‘rental concession grant’ reducing the rent to £10,000 for this current financial year and £15,000 for the following two financial years.

The charity was originally granted a 25-year lease at a peppercorn rent of £1 a year in exchange for taking full responsibility for all repairs and maintenance, which still cost Bridges over £50,000 every year. That lease expired in March 2025, sparking negotiations for a new agreement.

Bridges has been operating out of Drybridge House since 2003, following a £1.6 million community fundraising campaign to restore the building.

The council has stipulated that the grant would be reviewed every three years, but trustees fear that if it were ever reduced or withdrawn Bridges would be left unable to pay.

Mark Walton, co-chairman of trustees, opened the campaign launch by describing Bridges as “a thriving hub at the heart of the community” but said the charity now faces the possibility of eviction if it does not agree to the terms and he was therefore launching the Save the Bridges Campaign.

Mr Walton warned that the council’s refusal to guarantee long-term stability was “a recipe for closure” and outlined how repeated reviews would prevent Bridges from applying for major grants that require lease security.

The meeting heard passionate support for the centre from volunteers and councillors. Longstanding gardener and volunteer Nesta Pearce said: “Monmouth without Bridges is unthinkable.”

Martin Newall, a county and town councillor, told the audience: “The keyword that I want to take away from this tonight is that we are custodians of this place. Let’s make sure it is still here in 30 years’ time. I implore my colleagues at Monmouthshire County Council to just come up with something fair.”

Public meeting - Bridges
The packed public meeting (Richard John)

Cllr Ian Chandler, cabinet member for social care, argued that the three-year review system could work both ways: “If you were to lose commercial income by having fewer sub-letting tenants the council can even look at offering a bigger grant. If you were to gain extra commercial revenue, then the grant would be adjusted,” he said.

Cabinet member for resources Cllr Ben Callard expanded on this, suggesting the system was designed to protect Bridges rather than penalise it.

He added: “It generates its own money from commercial activity, which is great. But we need to review it every three years. If the trustees decided this was going to become a 100 per cent wedding venue, is it right that the taxpayer should subsidise weddings?

“On the other hand, if tenants leave and Bridges comes under financial stress then the formula goes the other way and the council can offer up to a 95 per cent grant to support it.”

Local journalist Charles Boase said he believed the Bridges Centre’s portrayal of the grant had been misleading. He argued that the council’s offer was genuine but poorly represented, allowing fears of a £97,000 bill to overshadow the facts and fuel unnecessary mistrust.

Trustees however questioned why the council’s assurances could not be written directly into the lease rather than left to the goodwill of whichever administration is in power in future.

Ann Rosser, co-chairman of trustees, concluded by urging residents to join the campaign. She called on supporters to sign the petition, write letters to local newspapers, volunteer to leaflet streets and attend a silent protest at the next full council meeting on Thursday, September 18, at County Hall in Usk.

Following the event, former mayor Terry Christopher told the Monmouthshire Beacon: “I think when you’re put under threat then that isn’t a very good way of entering compromised discussions. If the council were to withdraw the threat of eviction that would allow a way forward for an agreement to be found.”

The council has stated that negotiations remain open but insists its deadline of September 29 must be met. Failure to accept the offer would trigger steps towards eviction, leaving Bridges homeless after some 40 years of service to the town.