CAMPAIGNERS battling to re-open a day centre have taken their fight to a venue that has been suggested as an alternative.
But campaigners say it isn’t suitable and staged a protest outside to demonstrate why they believe the service should remain at the Tudor Centre, where it had been based before the Coronavirus pandemic outbreak.
The council was due to hold a workshop with service users at the theatre on Tuesday, August 15, which prompted the campaigners to call the rally. Although the meeting was ultimately cancelled, Owen B Lewis from the campaign group said it was important they still gathered to demonstrate their support for the Tudor Centre.
The council’s process has also been questioned by the group which said it believes the need of the wider community with disabilities have been overlooked and Mr Lewis said they want to stress the importance of the Tudor Centre.
Though its proposed permanent closure was announced as the review of the My Day, My Life service got under way, and that review later supported calls for permanent bases for the service, the building wasn’t under review.
A Monmouthshire County Council spokesperson said it had held a workshop on August 10 and said: “We are continuing to connect with people in receipt of My Day My Life services in the north and central areas of Monmouthshire, to help shape the ongoing development of the service. Service bases in Abergavenny and Monmouth are being considered via an options appraisal.”