Monmouth still face relegation battle but extend unbeaten run

By Monmouthshire Beacon/Chepstow Beacon in Football

Welsh League Division One - Monmouth Town 1 Taffs Well 1

MONMOUTH Town FC had to settle for a point against relegation rivals Taffs Well on Saturday, but extended their unbeaten run to five games.

Monmouth came into the game four games unbeaten and one place outside the relegation zone, and went into half time with a one goal lead thanks to Brad Flay.

But after a frustrating second half full of missed chances, a tap-in from the Wellmen proved decisive, with the visitors returning to Cardiff the happier of the two sides.

The visitors started the game positively and nearly were a goal up inside 30 seconds. From the kick off their striker was played a through ball to run onto but Dan Spence managed to get back and slide tackle Taffs’ striker and, despite shouts for a penalty, the referee waved play on.

After a slow start the Kingfishers came into the game and started to maintain possession well. They had a good chance to take the lead when Brad Flay was fouled on the edge of the box and Mitchell Palmer’s free kick went just wide of the post.

Soon after Monmouth took the lead when Flay ran at the Taffs defence. He got tackled, however the ball then hit Flay’s leg and rolled into the bottom corner of the net.

Monmouth had a good chance to double their lead shortly after a pass from Palmer found Flay whose shot was well saved.

Monmouth continued to dominate proceedings and had another good chance when Oxley ran down the line and floated a ball into the box which found Craig Lewis at the back post who volleyed just wide of the post near the end of the first half.

Taffs Well started the second half like a different side and passed the ball around well and troubled the Kingfishers with their fast flowing counter attacking football.

They equalised soon after when their midfielder played a through ball to their winger. With the attacker one on one with Lee Williams, he squared the ball across to his teammate who had a simple tap in.

Monmouth had a good chance to regain the lead when Palmer floated a free kick into the box which found Rob Laurie at the back post. Laurie headed towards goal, but his header was heroically blocked off the line.

The Town had another good chance to take the lead when Mitchell Palmer ran at Taffs defence and played a one two with Jake Robinson and shot, but again the Wellmen’s keeper made a magnificent diving save to tip Palmer’s shot around the post.

Both teams continued to attack at each other with great intensity in the latter stages of the games as they both looked to get a winner. With time running out the away side had a great chance to take the lead when their winger beat his man and ran down the line and whipped a ball towards the back post, but their striker’s header went just over the bar.

Deep into stoppage time Monmouth had a golden opportunity to win the game when a kick from Lee Williams was flicked on by Rob Laurie to Lewis, but he fired his shot over the bar.

Manager Ross Kennedy described his side’s performance as “frustrating”. He said: “I thought we dominated the first half and really should have scored more and we have been punished for not taking our chances. I felt we were poor in the second half.

“That’s 11 points from 15 and five games unbeaten. Now we most focus on our game against Penybont and fight till the end to keep the club up.”

Monmouth Town’s next game is at home against Penybont on Wednesday 19th April at 6.30pm, with their last game of the season also at home against already relegated Risca United on Saturday 22nd April.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C